History of 128 South 17th Street Building.
John and Eliza Fisher commissioned construction of 128 South 17th Street in 1885. The three story building was constructed as a saloon, with the Fisher’s living quarters on its upper floors. The building took the place of a one story frame dwelling that had stood on the lot for a number of years and that had been the Fisher’s home from 1880 til 1885.
The building at 128 was constructed in the Second Empire style, as shown in its mansard roof, John and Eliza Fisher hired the South Side contracting firm of Plank & Rothleder to construct the building, at the cost of $3000.
John fisher was an immigrant from Austria, and Eliza Fisher was born in Hesse Cassel, Germany. Both came to the United States and settlerd in South Side in the 1870s. John Fisher worked in the Birmingham Tool Works at South 13th and Breed Street and in glass factories on the South Side before he became a saloon proprietor at 128 in 1885.
John Fisher run the saloon until he died in 1906. He lived above the business with Eliza Fisher, a niece, Eliza Yenke, and her husband, Ernest Yenke, a bartender in the saloon. After John Fisher’s death, Eliza Fisher rented the building to tenants while living a short distance away on south 17th. She moved to Michigan before she died in 1920. She left the bulding to Eliza Yenke, who sold it in 1928.The new owners Peter F. and Mary M. Wilson (also known as Peter F. and Mary M. Wolski conveyed the building to Robert E. and Catherine McCaan for $1 and other consideration (tax stamps indicate a price of $11,000).They run the business as McCaan’s a renown local Irish Bar for half a century.
Michael and Cindy Savoia purchased the building from Patrick J. McCaan, attorney in fact for Catherine, on December 28 1999 and open Dish Osteria and Bar in September 2000
The former Fisher saloon has now had a total of four owners.
Fisher Saloon 1885
Dish Osteria and Bar 2000